HiDef & BioConsult SH - ↻ Back to Careers
HiDef Aerial Surveying Limited (HiDef) is known for its market leading, innovative digital aerial surveys, which have been deployed in ten countries. We are expanding rapidly across all of our services, combining technical and scientific excellence and it is crucial to the company that we continue to lead in the innovation of new products, based upon credible science, and deliver all of our services in a consistent and efficient manner. We work on a range of projects from our digital aerial surveys, ornithological and marine mammal statistical analysis and research, and development projects in fields such as machine learning and artificial intelligence, often with our sister company BioConsult SH in Germany, Biotope in France, other partners, and domain experts.
Our Vision: to provide trusted, high quality environmental data, analysis, and consultancy to support decision-making for the renewables industry and conservation.
Our Mission: to be a leading marine environmental consultancy for the global offshore renewables industry.
Our Values: our shared values – Innovative, Supportive and Honest, sit at the heart of our company culture and impact everything we do.
Quality lies at the heart of HiDef’s services and following a growth of business the company is looking to recruit a Senior Data Scientist role to join our busy Science team. This position within the company offers significant opportunities for the right person who will be enthusiastic, methodical, diligent, an excellent team player with effective communication skills and a willingness to learn.
HiDef operates offices in Cumbria and Edinburgh in addition to hybrid and home working options.
- Applying ecologically based statistical models for a variety of real-world problems;
- Leading delivery of analytic outputs for multiple projects for a range of clients, predominantly associated with offshore renewables industry;
- Quality assurance of all data science deliverables;
- Contributing and building statistical knowledge in the science team;
- Coding workflows to automate and streamline internal file processes;
- Engaging and contributing to our research and development activities;
- Leading/contributing to the team’s manuscripts for publication in peer-reviewed journals;
- Communicating analytical approaches and results to non-specialist audiences;
- Line management of team members as required;
- Any other relevant duties, as required.
The successful candidate will need:
- Master’s degree, or equivalent, in a relevant subject (e.g. quantitative ecology/ statistics/ data science);
- Demonstrable experience in a similar / relevant role;
- Advanced coding skills in the R programming language; additional languages such as MATLAB or Python would also be desirable;
- Good statistical knowledge;
- Experience of using statistical models to explore ecological datasets;
- Experience and competency in manipulating and processing large ecological datasets;
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively at all levels with a variety of stakeholders;
- Effective organisational skills with the ability to organise, prioritise and coordinate own workload (and the workload of others where relevant) to ensure key deliverables are met;
- Problem solving skills;
- Effective time management with the ability to work effectively as part of a team and independently; self-motivated and able to work with minimal supervision;
- Computer skills, including MS Office applications and experience of delivering a robust documented process.
The following would also be desirable:
- Experience of applying offshore industry standard modelling approaches;
- Experience with web-based applications / R-shiny skills;
- Knowledge of machine learning methods;
- An interest in marine ecology.
Benefits / Remuneration:
- Salary starting from £40,000 per annum.
- Competitive profit share scheme.
- Working hours based on 37.5 hours per week: Monday – Friday 08:30-17:00.
- Flexible working including hybrid and home working options.
- 33 days annual leave per annum, including public holidays.
- 4% company pension contribution.
- Full-time permanent contract.
- Private medical and dental care plan.
- Medicash scheme.
- Group Life Assurance scheme.
- Paid sickness absence.
- Salary sacrifice schemes including Pension salary exchange and Cycle to Work, help towards the purchase of ultra-low emission vehicles.
How to Apply:
Click the ‘Apply Now’ button to make your application.
Closing date: 7th April 2023.
HiDef is proud to be an inclusive company and People are at the heart of how we deliver our services. We welcome applications from all individuals regardless of race, age, disability, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, or belief.